Upon entering the course, you are presented with the Course Overview page. This page shows a breakdown of the Course Description, Certification Exam, Chapter Listing, Info Side Panel, and Miscellaneous Requirements. Let's review each individually.
- Course Description
- Chapter/Section Listing
- Certification Exam
- Info Side Panel
- Miscellaneous Requirements
The course description provides the overview of what will be covered throughout the course and matches the description you would have seen at course selection.
This section provides the full listing of chapters contained within the course.
Similar to the Certification Exam, the icon to the left of the chapter title indicates your status and requirements to complete.
- Green Checkmark - indicates that you have completed the chapter in full
- Grey Play Button - indicates that you have not yet completed the chapter in full. This icon is used specifically in states that allow you to complete content and exams in any order
- Grey Lock - indicates that this chapter is not yet accessible, as prior content must be completed before advancing
- Empty Circle - indicates that you have not yet completed the chapter in full. This icon is used specifically in states that require you to complete all content in order
The number of sections built into each chapter is mentioned to the right of the chapter's title. These will be displayed as a fraction of the completed sections to the total sections available.
Upon selecting a chapter, you are presented a similar listing of the chapter's smaller sections. The icons will be representative of levels of access, as was the case in the chapter listing, and the fraction to the right of each section title will detail the completed pages to the total pages within the section.
In the Section Listing, you will also be provided a Resume button to the upper right, which will link you to the last page of content that was completed, allowing you to pick up where you left off.
For states that require a certification exam, the Certification Exam link is visible from first entering the course. However, your state may not allow you to access the exam until all content has been reviewed. This is indicated by the icon to the left of the Certification Exam.
- Star - indicates that the Certification Exam is accessible
- Lock - indicates that course content must be completed before the exam can be accessed
Info Side Panel
The section to the right of the chapter listing provides additional resources related to the course. For Continuing Education courses, the first area displays the credit value of the course. For both Prelicensing and Continuing Education, the book cover (if available in print) is shown, along with a link to the printable version of the course for download or printing*. If your Continuing Education course shows lock icons next to chapters, you will not see the option for a printable manual.
*Link to the printable version for Continuing Education is available only in states that do not limit course progression based on completion of prior chapters.
Some states have some additional requirements before the certification exam can be taken. These requirements include completing all content to unlock the exam, spending a minimum amount of time within content to unlock the exam, or a monitor to be present before the certification exam can be started. These additional requirements will be listed below the certification exam within the online course.
- Completing All Content- All content must be completed in consecutive order to unlock the exam. A prompt will be displayed directly below the certification exam, and a locked icon will appear to the right of each chapter that has not been unlocked
- Minimum Time Requirement- Some states require that a minimum amount of time be spent within the course to unlock the certification exam. If this is applicable, a timer will be displayed at the time of the course, which must reach 00:00:00 to complete the course and a prompt will be displayed below the certification
- Monitor Requirements- Some states require a monitor to be present while you take a certification exam. If applicable, the monitor criteria will be displayed next to the certification exam and their information will be collected prior to starting the exam
Please sign in to leave a comment.